Friday, September 16, 2011

Three Weeks and Still Going Strong

A little place I like to call...shool.
Once again, this is incredibly overdue.  I just finished my third week of school, and I'm happy to say that I still want to be a teacher.  Every one of the students has their own unique challenge which they bring to school each day.  That's really the case everywhere.  Although the school is very small and in an incredibly rural area, the atmosphere is quite similar to a city school.  I talked with Josh (my brother, for those who haven't met him) earlier today, and we realized that many of our students behaved in a rather comparable manner.  I am still enjoying the whole experience.  I have seen some definite changes in behavior for the better over the last week.  We still have a long way to go, but I was very encouraged by this week.

Just this evening, we had a pot-luck dinner hosted at the school.  It was a good mix of typical foods along with some native dishes as well.  I can now say that I have tried both seal meat and herring eggs.  They were very interesting.  I can't say that I'll include them as a staple, but I am glad to have experienced it.  In the past year, I have been much more open to and driven towards trying new things.  I guess that's how I ended up teaching in Alaska.  If anyone reading this is bored with where they are, get out and do something.  Try something new!  There is so much out there that you could live several lifetimes and not run out of things to do.  It could even be as simple as trying to spend a day without saying the word "water."  Yes, it's random, but I've found that I have a lot more fun when I let my imagination free.  Honestly, I'm not sure why this came out in this medium, but it's relevant to my life right now, and I hope it is to yours.

I'll add some pictures later.  Right now, I've gotta return some video tapes.  (edit:  picture added!)

No comments:

Post a Comment